Table of contents
Smart Watches: Wearable Comptuters
In the era of wearable technology, smart watches have led the way in becoming a regular part of people’s lives. They were originally introduced as a productivity and communication tool for the most tech-savvy people, acting as an extension of the smart phones we’ve already deeply integrated into our lives. Today they serve a much wider range of functions, similar to the evolution of our phones; smart watches of all shapes and sizes are regularly used to collect data for health and fitness, sources of entertainment, and ways to keep track of the locations of other people as well as their belongings.
There is no denying that smart watches have become incredibly useful tools that can be used in increasing areas of our lives, but there are of course risks that come with any new technology. A specific area of concern since the rollout of this new tech is the potential health risks, particularly from electromagnetic field (EMF) radiation.
EMF Radiation from Smart Watches
Smart watches, fitness trackers, and all wearable computer technology do indeed produce electromagnetic (EMF) radiation. Any electronic tech will typically generate some degree of an electromagnetic field, but this new tech is different than anything we’ve been exposed to before.
The intensity and variety of electromagnetic frequencies generated by new-age devices are something that we simply do not understand the long-term implications of. Not only do we not have sufficient long-term data in general on the health implications of daily exposure, but when we consider that people are now increasingly wearing these devices all day every day, even while sleeping and giving birth , concern is certainly warranted.
What Type of EMF do Smart Watches Generate?
Electromagnetic radiation (EMR) refers to the energy emitted by electromagnetic fields. EMR is a type of energy that is produced by the movement of electrically charged particles, which occurs in the powering and various functions of these new smart devices.
While there are many different types of electromagnetic frequencies, the main area of concern with smart watches is the constant exposure to radio wave frequencies. These frequencies are generated by both the Bluetooth and WiFi technology used to link the devices to our smart phones, the internet, 5g cellular networks, and other pieces of tech like wireless speakers.
Learn more about the electromagnetic spectrum here
Are Radio Waves Dangerous?
Whether or not EMR from radio wave frequencies is dangerous or not is a central question in the debate around the health risks of EMFs. The fact that it is still a debate without a clear resolution is enough to raise the eyebrows of many consumers and health practitioners alike. Regardless of the debate, there is certainly significant data suggesting we handle these technologies with caution.
The International Agency for Research on Cancer, for example, has officially classified radiofrequency electromagnetic fields as possibly carcinogenic to humans. This is based on based on an increased risk for glioma, which is a type of brain cancer, associated with increased wireless phone use.
Again, this is still a hotly debated topic, the primary reason being that we are working with limited data from long-term in-depth human studies. We do have data pointing to potential harm, which has led to the above carcinogenic classification. The data used by regulators to dismiss or minimize the potential harm caused by EMR though, does not account for the growing pervasiveness of this radiation. Those calling for more study and public caution cite the growing level of exposure, particularly when considering the stacking of multiple forms of EMF from multiple sources, in closer proximity than ever, all more constantly than ever.
Why Would Companies Create Products that are Potentially Harmful?
Unfortunately, this is a common flaw of large tech corporations, particularly in the tech sectors of Silicon Valley.
In large corporations that are publically traded, the values of the company and the products they create are often primarily beholden to shareholders. Prioritization of growth and profit margins can lead to an oversight, or even willful blindness, to the potential downstream health effects passed on to the consumers and citizens of modern society.
One only needs a glance at the multitude of lawsuits against the massive corporations that dominate the pharmaceutical industrial complex to see examples of this. Corporations tend to be driven by profit first and foremost unless specifically formed around human and environmental health.
This is a major reason why there is an urgent need for more comprehensive research on the long-term health implications of chronic EMR exposure from multiple sources.
Potential Health Risks
- Nausea and Headaches: Some users have reported experiencing symptoms commonly associated with radiation exposure, such as nausea and headaches.
- Sleep, Memory, and Mood-Related Issues: Insomnia, memory problems, and mood swings have also been reported. These issues are often linked to the blue light emitted by electronic devices, which can make it difficult for the brain to shut down after use. It is also theorized that chronic radiation and the body’s need to constantly mitigate it increases the body’s total cumulative load of physical stress, which is known to increase mental and emotional stress in tangent.
- Cancer: The International Agency for Research on Cancer has classified radiofrequency electromagnetic fields as possibly carcinogenic to humans.
- Distractions: Being chronically online or always tending to tech can remove you from the present moment, potentially impacting real human relationships, but also places you at an increased risk of physical harm due to lack of awareness of one’s surroundings – think of distracted driving for example.
- Male Fertility: Several studies have linked radiation emitted from cell phones to a significant decrease in sperm count, sperm motility, and overall sperm quality in men. Check this out for more info on EMF and male fertility
- Female Fertility: This study found that exposure to electromagnetic fields during embryonic development can lead to infertility and/or decreased fertility
Protection from Electromagnetic Radiation
- Limit Usage: While it may be tempting to use your smart watch 24/7, limiting your usage can help reduce your exposure to EMF radiation
- Disconnect Before Bedtime: To avoid sleep issues, try to disconnect from all technology 2-3 hours before heading to bed.
- Stay Present: Try to balance your use of technology with being present in your relationships and also maintaining situational awareness, particularly when driving or doing any potentially dangerous activity.
- Airplane Mode: Switching devices to “airplane mode” in settings will disconnect them from cell signal, and typically WiFi and Bluetooth as well.
- Carry Protection: Aires Tech provides convenient solutions that can be easily integrated into daily life. This cutting-edge technology modulates harmful EMF into a form that the human body can better tolerate.
It’s important to use these smart devices responsibly and take steps to minimize your exposure to EMF radiation. Read more about how our interactions with tech are leading to a compounding effect and could lead to potential damage down the road here.
Aires Tech Can Help
Navigating through the EMF risk of smartwatches can be daunting, especially considering you’re looking to these for convenience and to help on your health journey. Aires Tech is here to help reduce the risk of harmful effects from electromagnetic radiation. Try incorporating one of our Lifetune products into your daily routine and help your health perform at its best.
Our top suggestions when it comes to protection from smartwatches? Wear the Lifetune Go or Flex every day, or at least whenever your watch is on your wrist!
Updated January 28, 2024